I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! Vegan ramen with miso-glazed tofu, shiitake mushrooms and vegetables – a savory homemade broth that is topped with fresh, crunchy veggies and totally iressistible miso-glazed tofu! Warming, comforting and packed with vegetables!
To be honest, the thought of making my own ramen kind of intimidated me at first because it seemed like it needed SO many different ingredients, steps and, most of all, time. But I was totally wrong! It is heavy on the ingredients and steps sides, however it is super easy to make and doesn’t take much longer than 30 minutes.
- Tofu, miso paste, sesame oil, rice vinegar and maple syrup for the miso-glazed tofu. Mix all ingredients, coat tofu and later fry it in a pan – done!
- Onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, miso paste, vegetable or miso broth and soy sauce for the broth.
- Ramen noodles or alternatively soba noodles, mie noodles or even zoodles!
- Shiitake mushrooms, vegetables and sprouts, and although I am giving you exact measurements, feel free to decide yourself how much you want to use and even which vegetables you want to use.
If you can’t find certain ingredients like miso paste, rice vinegar or ramen noodles in your go-to supermarket check out Asian supermarkets or health food stores. They should have them in stock!
I hope you’ll enjoy theis recipe as much as I do. And if you do, I would love to hear about that. So please leave me a comment below or if you upload it to your Instagram, tag me at @aspoonfulofhealthde.
Vegan ramen with miso glazed tofu, shiitake mushrooms and veggies
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (asian supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 200 g tofu
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 piece ginger (1.5cm thick)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 liter miso or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 100 g ramen noodles (or soba or mie noodles)
- 200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 2 handfuls mung bean sprouts or other sprouts
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 handfuls sugar snap peas
To make the tofu marinade mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cut tofu into cubes, coat with marinade and set aside.
Chop the onions, mince the garlic and ginger.
Heat up a pot with sesame oil and fry onion until transluscent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the miso paste, cook for about a minute and then deglaze with the miso or vegetable broth. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes and add soy sauce to taste at the end.
In the mean time, prepare ramen noodles according to package instructions (you might only have to soak them in hot water!).
Wash all vegetables. Cut shiitake mushrooms into stripes, and use a vegetable slicer to thinly slice the carrot.
Drain the broth through a finely woven sieve into another pot to get rid of the onion, garlic and ginger pieces. If you want, you can cook the carrot slices, sugar snap peas and baby spinach for 3-5 minutes, or you can leave them raw and add them to the bowls later.
Now, heat up a pan with sesame oil and fry the tofu and shiitake mushrooms. Flip tofu so it browns from all sides.
Finally, divide ramen noodles into two bowls and add the broth. Top with tofu, shiitake mushrooms, sprouts and the rest of the veggies.